Tuesday, December 25, 2018

A Comeback Story


It was a total disaster that I did the workshop at MY school more than five years ago. Well, I completely nailed it today, with my colleagues participating in a wide variety of tasks targeting reading comprehension. 


The Complete Flop

It was painful to recall what happened then. The lack of immersive activities left the participants not engaged. I lectured about principles and ideas throughout almost the whole workshop, without providing authentic experiences in the real class. What's worse, I spoke only in English, and it was a monotone delivery for sure.

The Dramatic Comeback

Today's workshop, on the other hand, was undoubtedly a victory over my self-doubt. My colleagues were paying attention to my task instructions in English. They ran through hands-on activities that required collaboration and production, including running dictation, mind mapping, gallery walk, information gap, and so on. Some quickly thought of variations of the original tasks based on their classroom settings.

Throughout my presentation today, I felt relaxed, confident, and focused. My colleagues' participation and engagement contributed a great deal to the smooth delivery. I even cracked them up with some jokes. The stern-looking director was there the whole time, smiling and recognizing the value as a teacher trainer for so many years.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." 


After the disaster, I've been working hard on both delivery and teaching innovations at workshops. Gradually, I got the hang of it and have received numerous invitations since then. People appreciated the hard work that I put in my English presentations outside of my school, but I could not get over the defeat whatsoever. Well, it felt so great for my colleagues to bear witness to my transformation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment