Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Teaching Demonstration: Mask-wearing Cultural Differences


Taking pride in lesson plan design and implementation with smooth transitions between interactive activities, fluent English instructions, and a live video call with a Canadian for mask-wearing cultural differences

 

Teaching demonstrations with students I never met before has been the greatest challenge for all advisory members or workshop lecturers. Although I've done over twenty of them, it was still nerve-wracking because many surprises would catch you off guard.  

 

To my surprise, not this time. I did not have time to fully prepare for it because of a huge backlog of work. Right before the professor came for the lesson briefing, I was still creating Kahoot quizzes, making photocopies of my lesson plans, and getting the mini whiteboards and markers ready. Then, the whole class turned out very well despite a few glitches, for my past experiences have trained me well. 

 

Based on Backward Design, Task-based Learning, and Cooperative Learning, the tasks were interconnected, with each one built upon the previous one. The warm-up should then serve as a facilitator for both motivation and transition, providing necessary vocabulary words and predicting strategies.  

 

On the spur of the moment, I decided to have mini international video conferencing with Jessica to talk about mask-wearing differences. She offered an authentic environment that students had to practice their English listening comprehension. Through the interview, I believe the students would have a more hands-on experience of the differences than watching the prepared video. 

 

This whole pilot school program, especially the huge amount of online learning packages I agreed on, has dragged on for too long. I pleaded guilty not to able to deliver as promised, but some of the unprofessional reviews have upset the whole team members, for we felt our hard work and devotion to the project unappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment