Thursday, March 7, 2024

An EMI Demo Class with 4 Panel Comics



Conducting a vibrant and dynamic demonstration class involves actively engaging both students and observers in a series of mini-lectures and interactive activities, using English as the medium of instruction

 

Principles and practices of effective communication can be applied to demonstration classes with students as well as professional workshops for teachers. Using thePyramid from the previous post, I conducted another demo class, further embedding this framework in my preparations. Everybody's smiles and engagement, along with my sense of achievement, are the best rewards, as any teacher would long for.

 

With the opening of the National Taiwan Museum of Comics, located right next to KMJH, I've been contemplating the creation of a series of special courses centered on Japanese legacies and comics. For instance, I envision involving my ICE students in providing a tour guide in simple English. This initiative not only presents an excellent exchange topic for international collaborations through video calls on Meet, Padlet posts, and English-speaking introduction videos but also aligns with my long-term goals for ICE. However, for today's demo class, I'd like to concentrate on a more specific and intriguing topic. I aim to showcase, through step-by-step scaffolding, how my students will present and act out their 4-panel comics in English.

 

Three weeks into this semester, I've already received several invitations to conduct demo classes in the hope of having in-service teachers, university professors, and their students observe my class. Due to my role with the English Advisory Team, I only teach International Cultural Exchange for two class periods on Thursday afternoons. Although I enjoy showcasing my EMI lesson planning and delivery, I had to decline some offers due to time frame mismatches. However, thanks to Mike Yuchuan Shen's invitation, a professor at National Chung Hsing University, I felt motivated to prepare for this lesson, aiming for his students to also benefit from this effective teaching structure.

 

During the post-class discussion, I addressed questions from the aspiring teachers and guided them through my lesson plan, explaining the rationale behind each section and the Backward Design approach. Judging by their facial expressions and reactions to my explanations, I believe I assisted them in reflecting more effectively on the observed lesson!




No comments:

Post a Comment